SK4316 : Former Whitwick station, Leicestershire

near to Whitwick, Leicestershire, Great Britain

Former Whitwick station, Leicestershire
Former Whitwick station, Leicestershire
The Charnwood Forest Railway opened a line between Coalville and Loughborough in 1883 but it was worked from the outset by the London & North Western although it remained nominally independent until the grouping of 1923. The LNW provided nine passenger trains from Derby Road station in Loughborough with most going through to Shackerstone and two continuing to Nuneaton. The LMS withdrew the service in 1931 although excursion traffic continued to 1951. Loughborough goods yard closed in 1955 and complete closure of the line came at the end of 1963. The station at Whitwick is a listed building and has been restored for use as office accommodation.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ralph Rawlinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK4316, 24 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for SK4316)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Sunday, 12 February, 2006   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 22 February, 2006
Railway station (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 435 161 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:44.4471N 1:21.4272W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 1287 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved