TF0061 : Dunston Pillar

4 km from Coleby, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Dunston Pillar
Dunston Pillar
Dunstan Pillar stands 92ft high, erected by Sir Francis Dashwood MP, of Nocton Hall in 1751. For many years it was surmounted by a 15ft high beacon as a guide for travellers crossing heath. Dashwood was founder of the notorious Hellfire Club and numerous stories abound about its intended use. In 1810 the beacon was removed by order of the Earl of Buckingham and replaced with a statue of King George III to celebrate the King's Golden Jubilee. Unfortunately for the mason John Wilson, he fell to his death whilst erecting it. In 1940 the statue was removed as a danger to low flying aircraft from Coleby Heath and Waddington .. part of the remains can be seen in Lincoln castle grounds LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Croft and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0061, 20 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for TF0061)
Date Taken
Sunday, 5 March, 2006   (more nearby)
Sunday, 5 March, 2006
Tower   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 009 619 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:8.6820N 0:29.5745W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 437 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved