TL1740 : Disused lock in River Ivel Navigation

taken 12 years ago, near to Stanford, Bedfordshire, Great Britain

Disused lock in River Ivel Navigation
Disused lock in River Ivel Navigation
A popular place for picnics and dog walking / dog swimming in the summer. Cold in March.
The River Ivel Navigation was opened to Shefford in 1823, having reached Biggleswade in 1758. Following the establishment of the Great Northern Railway through Biggleswade and the Midland Railway from Bedford to Hitchin, which reached Shefford in 1857, much of the navigation's trade was lost. The navigation was abandoned in 1876. The lock was named after the nearby village of Stanford.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robin Hall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL1740, 15 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 18 March, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 18 March, 2006
Category
Lock   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 172 408 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:3.1921N 0:17.5306W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 172 409
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for TL1740)
This page has been viewed about 319 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register