TL7523 : Town Hall Centre, Clock Tower, Braintree, Essex

taken 8 years ago, near to Braintree, Essex, Great Britain

Town Hall Centre, Clock Tower, Braintree, Essex
Town Hall Centre, Clock Tower, Braintree, Essex
Braintree Town Hall, now referred to as the Town Hall Centre, was a gift of William Julien Courtauld to the Town. The foundation stone was set in 1926 and the Town Hall opened in 1928. The Renaissance style Clock Tower has four faces, each with a clock face and bells sound on each quarter-hour. The figure on top of the bell tower includes the message ‘Hold to the Truth’. Two faces show the Braintree & Bocking coat of arms*. The pole visible in the bottom right of the image is the flagstaff. A view of the whole building is available in this image taken by Brenda Howard:
TL7523 : Braintree Town Hall Centre, Fairfield Road, Braintree
and more information on the history of the building and its impressive interior is available in a Braintree District Council document here: LinkExternal link

*The following information on the Braintree & Bocking coat of arms is taken, and reproduced with corrections, from "Heraldry of the World": LinkExternal link

The arms were granted on March 21, 1927. The shield itself has no special origin, but the lions and fleur-de-lis (lilies) are derived from arms of two important families. The blue lions are taken from the arms of William of Santa Maria, Bishop of London. He granted Braintree the right to hold a market and fairs. This transformed Braintree from a country village to a market town. The lilies are taken from the arms of the Courtauld family, who were the first to establish an important manufactory in the town. The three spurs are also taken from the Courtauld arms, as is the motto "Hold to the Truth". The family used the French version, Tiens a la Verite.

The crossed swords are the symbol of St. Paul, as the Bishops of London were for several centuries Lords of the Manor of Braintree. The patron saint of London is St. Paul.

The new Braintree District Council arms were granted on October 15, 1974 and available on "Heraldry of the World" here: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Trevor Wright and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL7523, 43 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 3 July, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 3 July, 2009
Category
Clock > Clock tower   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 75839 23021 [1m precision]
WGS84: 51:52.6818N 0:33.1888E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 75823 23016
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 795 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register