NT2974 : The Miller Mausoleum, Edinburgh

near to Duddingston, Edinburgh, Great Britain

The Miller Mausoleum, Edinburgh
The Miller Mausoleum, Edinburgh
This huge Mausoleum, known locally as the Craigentinny Marbles, completely dwarfs the 1930s bungalows built around it and is the last resting place of eccentric local landowner William Henry Miller, who was born in Paris in 1789 and died in Craigentinny in 1848. The Mausoleum was completed in 1860 and the large bas-relief inlay panels were fixed in place in 1867. The inlay on the south side (seen in this photo) depicts "The Overthrow of Pharaoh in the Red Sea" and on the north side "The Song of Miriam and Moses". The inlays contain no marble - the local name derives because they have been carved in the style of bas-reliefs on the Elgin Marbles. To read more about the Mausoleum please follow this weblink.
LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Kevin Rae and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT2974, 51 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Sunday, 19 March, 2006   (more nearby)
Sunday, 19 March, 2006
Mausoleum   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 291 743 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.3881N 3:8.2260W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 482 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted