W5698 : Castles of Munster: Mallow, Cork

taken 8 years ago, near to The Castles, Mala, Summer Hill and Avondhu, Cork, Ireland

Castles of Munster: Mallow, Cork
Castles of Munster: Mallow, Cork
The stronghouse at Mallow is a three storey structure with semi-polygonal wings projecting from the middle of each side, and hexagonal turrets on the NW and SW corners. It was built either by Sir Thomas Norris, or his daughter and her Jephson husband after the town was burnt in 1598. The Jephsons declared for Parliament during the Confederate War, and after successfully withstanding the attack by Lord Mountgarret in 1642, the castle was eventually captured by Lord Castlehaven in 1645. When the castle was burnt in 1689 by the Jacobites, the Jephsons created a more modest mansion further north out of the old stable block. Proving to be ill equipped for defence and having undergone a century of almost constant warfare, the old castle fell to ruin by the end of the 17c.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
W5698, 5 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 20 June, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 10 July, 2009
Category
Castle > Castle   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! W 56301 98136 [1m precision]
WGS84: 52:8.0318N 8:38.3341W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! W 56301 98136
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for W5698)
This page has been viewed about 1090 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register