SP9113 : Tringford Reservoir (Information)

taken 8 years ago, near to New Mill, Hertfordshire, Great Britain

Tringford Reservoir (Information)
Tringford Reservoir (Information)
See SP9114 : Canal and Reservoir Information – Tring Area.
Tringford Reservoir was opened in 1816 to provide water for the Grand Junction Canal (now the Grand Union Canal). It is now a nature reserve and a trout fishery, and until 2008 it was also used as a duck shoot.
All the easily accessible parts are in SP9113.

The above picture is of the old notice board overlooking the reservoir. The following are extracts.
BATS: The abundance of insects at the reservoir edges between the water and the trees support a large bat population. The Pipistrelle Bat, although weighing only 4-5 grams and having a body length of 4 cm, will consume about 3000 insects each night. Two Brandt's Bats trapped at Wilstone Reservoir in 1975 were the first of this species recorded in Hertfordshire. You may also glimpse one of Britain's largest bats, the Noctule, flying fast and high, or the Daubenton's which skims the water surface for caddis flies. You are most likely to see the bats just after dusk on calm summer evenings.
WOODLAND: The wood at Tringford is in a state of transition. In the early 1970's many of the elms fell victim to Dutch elm disease but new trees have grown in their place. Dead wood provides food for fungi and plants and a habitat for insects. One fungus you may notice is a curious ear-shaped growth on elder trees called Jew's Ear, so-called because the elder was believed to be the tree on which Judas hanged himself.
BIRDS: From the hide, look for the brilliantly coloured Kingfisher flashing low across the water or fishing off the willows close by. Many different species of duck as well as Dabchicks and Great Crested Grebe can be seen from the hide too. Look out also for Sparrowhawks hunting above the trees.
TRINGFORD PUMPING STATION: Tringford pumping station was built in 1818 and worked alongside pumping stations at Wilstone and Marsworth until they closed in 1836 and 1917 respectively. For a remarkable 110 years the beam engine at Tringford pumped water from Tring's reservoirs. It was replaced in 1927 by a diesel (then an electric) pumping plant. At the same time the building was lengthened and remodelled as a much lower structure with round-headed windows from the Foxton Inclined Plane Engine House on the canal's Leicester line. Little has changed to the building since then except for a new roof to replace the original roof blown away by gales in 1989.

SELECTED PICTURES.
General Views across Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : Dusk and Ducks at Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : Looking across the Reservoir towards Tringford Farm.
SP9113 : Looking along the full length of Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : Swans on Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : Grasses blowing in the Wind at Tringford Reservoir.

The Footpath through the Wood
SP9113 : The North End of the Woodland Path, Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : Dog Walking at Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : Treebeard striding through the wood at Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : A Horse Chestnut Tree on the Footpath beside Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : The Footpath leaves the Woodland south of Tringford Reservoir.

The Hide
SP9113 : Approaching the Ken Jackson Hide, Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : View from the Hide towards the “Feeding Bank”, Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : A view showing a dead tree from the Hide, Tringford Reservoir.

Wildlife on Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : A Duck and Ducklings on Tringford Reservoir.
SP9113 : You are cleared to land ... (Swan).
SP9113 : Bracket Fungi on an old log near the hide, Tringford Reservoir.
Tringford Reservoir, near Tring, Hertfordshire
Tringford Reservoir is one of four large reservoirs built to supply water to the Grand Junction Canal (now the Grand Union Canal) at the highest point on the canal between London and the Midlands. It was built in 1816 and the associated pumping station (which is still in use) was built in 1818.
In addition to its use to supply water to the canal it is also a private fishery and for many years it was used as a duck shoot. The adjoining land has become woodland and there is a bird hide. Together with the adjoining reservoirs it is a biological site of special scientific interest and for information on the wildlife visit the Friends of Tring Reservoir site LinkExternal link
Fishing at Tring Reservoirs
For details of fishing on the Tring Reservoirs see LinkExternal link
The Earth Dam at Tringford Reservoir
There is a public right of way which runs along the top of the dam towards Little Tring.
While there is a spillway, the water level is controlled by underground pipes and the spillway rarely, if every, carries water.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Chris Reynolds and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP9113, 156 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Saturday, 25 July, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 25 July, 2009
Category
Notice board   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 9183 1354 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:48.7776N 0:40.1589W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 9183 1354
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 985 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register