SP4151 : Fenny Compton Sign Post

near to Fenny Compton, Warwickshire, Great Britain

Fenny Compton Sign Post
Fenny Compton Sign Post
This unusual sign post carrying with the Bear & Ragged Staff of Warwickshire is at the junction of The Slade with Avon Dassett Road.

The sign was first set up in 1930 as the gift of Canon Savile of the Lodge, and was made entirely of wood by Mr Fred Heels.

After spending the war years in retirement, the Bear was re-erected in his old place in 1946, See SP4151 : Old Fenny Compton fingerpost. Eventually time and weather left their mark, and he became frail. In 1961 the Parish Council had a new sign post, as near as possible a replica. made by Mr Keith Parkes, a newcomer to the village. It reproduced the Warwickshire arms, and was set up here in the original place on the Village Green.

The above history of the sign was kindly supplied by Mr Parkes's daughter, now resident in Australia, from the Leaminton Spa courier, Friday October 20th 1961.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Stowell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP4151, 11 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Date Taken
Saturday, 25 March, 2006   (more nearby)
Saturday, 25 March, 2006
Signpost   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 415 519 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:9.8290N 1:23.6822W
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 164 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
please donate