SP9212 : Wendover Arm at Gamnel Wharf

taken 9 years ago, near to New Mill, Hertfordshire, Great Britain

Wendover Arm at Gamnel Wharf
Wendover Arm at Gamnel Wharf
There has been flour milling at Gamnel Wharf since the 19th century - and possibly before - the last windmill, run by William Mead, being demolished in 1910 to make way for a wheat storage silo. In those days, Mead lived on site, in a house next to the yard, and owned much of the area taken by the mill of today. The remaining space was occupied by boat-builders, Bushell Brothers, who built narrowboats. The business was taken over by Heygates in 1944, since when it has undergone a series of remodellings and now has a milling capacity of over 10 tonnes of wheat per hour. Its fleet of articulated trucks deliver flour throughout the South of England.

While the Mill is not a pretty sight, it is a significant employer in Tring.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald Massey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP9212, 117 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Sunday, 13 September, 2009
Mill   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 923 128 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:48.3951N 0:39.7350W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 923 129
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 22 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register