SP9213 : Wendover Arm at Gamnel Wharf

taken 8 years ago, near to New Mill, Hertfordshire, Great Britain

Wendover Arm at Gamnel Wharf
Wendover Arm at Gamnel Wharf
There has been flour milling at Gamnel Wharf since the 19th century - and possibly before - the last windmill, run by William Mead, being demolished in 1910 to make way for a wheat storage silo. In those days, Mead lived on site, in a house next to the yard, and owned much of the area taken by the mill of today. The business was taken over by Heygates in 1944, since when it has undergone a series of remodellings and now has a milling capacity of over 10 tonnes of wheat per hour. Its fleet of articulated trucks deliver flour throughout the South of England. This view of the site is of that part once occupied by Bushell Brothers, who built narrowboats here until the early 1950s.

While the Mill is not a pretty sight, it is a significant employer in Tring.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald Massey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP9213, 285 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 13 September, 2009
Category
Mill   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 924 130 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:48.5184N 0:39.6618W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 923 131
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 29 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register