SP8710 : Grand Union Canal (Wendover Arm) in Halton

taken 12 years ago, near to Halton, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain

Grand Union Canal (Wendover Arm) in Halton
Grand Union Canal (Wendover Arm) in Halton
This is the bridge over the canal in Halton built by the Rothschild family to enable them to cross from one side of their estate to the other. It was renovated by R.A.F. Halton in 1992. The canal is now disused but was constructed and opened in 1793, primarily to provide water to the Tring summit of the main Grand Union Canal. However water leakage through the banks was great and despite numerous efforts at repairs and the use of the Arm for commercial purposes, it was closed in 1904.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP8710, 64 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 8 April, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 8 April, 2006
Category
Canal (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 874 102 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:47.0188N 0:44.0640W
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for SP8710)
This page has been viewed about 167 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register