TQ0647 : The Old Church, Albury

near to Shere, Surrey, Great Britain

The Old Church, Albury
The Old Church, Albury
At TQ063478. The nave and the original chancel, which was converted to the tower in the 12C, are Saxon. The dome on the tower was built in 1820 to replace a spire that had fallen. The present chancel, south transept and aisle were added in the 13C and the north porch in the late 15C. The porch still has its original carved wooded barge-board. Inside there is a medieval wall painting of St Christopher and a brass for John Weston, d.1440. The church was closed in 1841, when the new church was opened, but was not deconsecrated. The south transept became the Drummond Chapel and the roof of the chancel was removed. In 1974 the church was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust and the chancel repaired. It is open to visitors
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ0647, 133 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for TQ0647)
Date Taken
Thursday, 30 March, 2006   (more nearby)
Saturday, 8 April, 2006
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 063 478 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:13.1707N 0:28.7576W
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 83 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved