SJ6614 : Duke of Sutherland's Warehouse at Wappenshall Wharf

taken 8 years ago, near to Eyton Upon The Weald Moors, Telford And Wrekin, Great Britain

Duke of Sutherland's Warehouse at Wappenshall Wharf
Duke of Sutherland's Warehouse at Wappenshall Wharf
The original warehouse at the wharf dates from 1835. Goods were transferred from the narrow canals of Wellington and Oakengates to the Newport Canal and the newly widened Shrewsbury Canal. The edge of the wharf has recently been excavated. The warehouse quickly proved to be insufficient for trade on the canal. A larger building opened within two years.

The wharf and buildings were purchased by Telford & Wrekin Council in 2009 and are leased to the Shrewsbury and Newport Canal Trust who hope to restore the buildings and re-open the canal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John M and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ6614, 20 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 14 September, 2009
Category
Canal building   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 663 145 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:43.6577N 2:29.9914W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 663 145
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 84 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register