ST2264 : Flat Holm Lighthouse

taken 8 years ago, near to Flat Holm [other Features], The Vale of Glamorgan, Great Britain

Flat Holm Lighthouse
Flat Holm Lighthouse
A light (then fire) was first shown on Flat Holm Island in 1737 in an attempt to protect the increasing shipping approaching Bristol.

In 1820, the lighthouse, substantially as seen today was built - though then not as tall and exhibiting a steady white light.

Over the years, the tower's height has been increased a clockwork occulting mechanism added to allow the light to flash and also gone through various lamp types and fuels. The current light is a 100 watt electrical light bulb.

The lighthouse was automated in 1988 and has subsequently been converted in 1997 to solar power (though a large diesel tank still exist to one side of the old cottage buildings).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Hywel Williams and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST2264, 43 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 14 September, 2009
Category
Lighthouse   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 222 646 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:22.5439N 3:7.1499W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 222 646
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for ST2264)
This page has been viewed about 443 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register