TM5197 : St Mary's church - the chancel

taken 8 years ago, near to Blundeston, Suffolk, Great Britain

St Mary's church - the chancel
St Mary's church - the chancel
There has been a church in Blundeston village since St. Fursey, an Irish Missionary, first preached Christianity in this area in the 7th century. Nothing remains of the original church. The round tower of St Mary's church > LinkExternal link - LinkExternal link was built around 988 and a century later nave and chancel were built onto the tower. A larger building replaced the Norman church in the 14th century, the widened nave offsetting the tower to the north. The font > LinkExternal link dates from this time. A second font - it can be seen outside by the priest door on the chancel south wall - was brought here from St Andrew's church in neighbouring Flixton. [St Andrew's church was destroyed in 1705 in a gale but the ruins can still be seen.] The rood screen dates from 1490, its faded panels depicting Angels of the Passion > LinkExternal link. The royal arms are to Charles II > LinkExternal link. St Mary's was extensively restored in the 1850s when the oak pews were fitted. Some of the pews have 14th century poppy heads > LinkExternal link attached to the bench ends. The church is open every day.

Blundeston is the birthplace of 'David Copperfield', in the novel of the same name by Charles Dickens. Despite local legend, it is difficult to tell whether Dickens actually visited here, or stayed at Somerleyton Hall > LinkExternal link in the neighbouring village.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM5197, 87 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 27 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 28 September, 2009
Category
Church interior   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 513 972 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:30.8918N 1:42.1664E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 513 972
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 10 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register