SM9637 : Ruins of Fishguard Fort

taken 8 years ago, near to Fishguard/Abergwaun, Pembrokeshire/Sir Benfro, Great Britain

Ruins of Fishguard Fort
Ruins of Fishguard Fort
Completed in 1781 to defend the town against attack, following the 1779 raid by the privateer vessel Black Prince, the fort became the headquarters of the Fishguard Fencibles. Although alarm guns were fired from the fort following the 1797 raid by the French, the occupants had no further involvement in the action. The fort fell into disrepair at the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815.
See also LinkExternal link for an account of the so-called 'Last Invasion of Britain'.
In the distance is the ferryport and the North breakwater.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Pauline E and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SM9637, 223 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 29 September, 2009
Category
Fort   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SM 961 378 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:0.0766N 4:58.2285W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SM 962 376
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 25 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register