NT2673 : Lady Yester's Church, Infirmary Street

taken 8 years ago, near to Edinburgh, Great Britain

Lady Yester's Church, Infirmary Street
Lady Yester's Church, Infirmary Street
Church built in 1803 on the site of a predecessor in High School Wynd, later renamed Infirmary Street. The original church resulted from a bequest by Margaret Ker, Lady Yester in 1647. Her tomb was incorporated into the new building. It was here that the bodies of Highlanders were brought in 1779 after their execution at the Shore, Leith for protesting against a breach of promises made to them on enlisting in the British Army. Pupils from the nearby Royal High School, including the young Walter Scott, paid the sexton a penny each to view "the Highlanders lying stiff and stark". The present building is owned by the University and used for storage.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright kim traynor and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT2673, 1944 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 27 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 2 October, 2009
Category
Church (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 260 734 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.9024N 3:11.1325W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 261 734
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 49 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register