NT2674 : Governor's House of the former Calton Gaol

taken 8 years ago, near to Edinburgh, Great Britain

Governor's House of the former Calton Gaol
Governor's House of the former Calton Gaol
This battlemented tower designed by Archibald Elliot in 1817 was the governor's house and is all that now remains of Calton Gaol. The gaol was demolished and vast government offices, St. Andrew's House, built on the site.
To the left can be seen the 'Martyrs Memorial'.An obelisk situated in old Calton burial ground erected in 1844 to the memory of those martyrs tried for sedition in the 1790's and sentenced to be deported. Prominent amongst them Thomas Muir.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright ronnie leask and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT2674, 898 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 26 September, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 3 October, 2009
Category
Building   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 261 740 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.2100N 3:11.1035W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 261 739
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 37 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register