SP0333 : St. Andrew's church, Toddington

taken 8 years ago, near to Toddington, Gloucestershire, Great Britain

St. Andrew's church, Toddington
St. Andrew's church, Toddington
St. Andrew's is the 3rd church to stand on this site in Toddington since the Middle Ages. The present church was built by George E Street, who had been commissioned by the 3rd Lord Sudeley. Work started in 1869 and cost the considerable sum of 44,000. Housed in the North Transept lie the 1st Lord Sudeley (Charles Hanbury-Tracy) and Lady Sudeley on a Gothic "Altar Tomb" sculpted by John Graham Lough.
The extraordinary expense of St Andrews and the agricultural depression unfortunately led to the financial decline of the Hanbury-Tracys. The family finally departing from Toddington in the latter years of the 19th century.
Ref; LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
It is still an impressive building especially in the soft autumnal afternoon sun.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jonathan Billinger and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP0333, 27 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 1 October, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 4 October, 2009
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 035 330 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:59.7585N 1:57.0260W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 035 330
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 360 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register