SP9114 : The Tomb of Edmund West

taken 8 years ago, near to Marsworth, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain

The Tomb of Edmund West
The Tomb of Edmund West
Marsworth is a village in Buckinghamshire, about two miles north of Tring and six miles east of Aylesbury. The village, whose name is Anglo Saxon in origin - Męssanwyrth meaning 'Męssa's enclosure' - grew significantly at the end of the 18th Century with the construction of the Grand Junction (now Grand Union) Canal, which passes through it.

The South Chapel of Marsworth parish church, 'All Saints', contains several memorials to the West family, the most important being this table tomb in memory of Edmund West (d. 1681). It is one of the few known works of Epiphanius Evesham, whose signature appears on the right hand bottom corner of the panel at the North end.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald Massey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP9114, 296 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 2 October, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 11 October, 2009
Category
Tombs   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 919 146 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:49.3478N 0:40.0115W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 919 146
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register