Spring Hill House viewed from the road to the south. The house was built in the early 1760s for the 6th Earl of Coventry, providing him with a retreat from his seat at Croome Court. The architect wis believed to be Lancelot 'Capability' Brown, who is better known for his landscaped parklands. Brown had already been commissioned by the Earl for work on Croome Court and the landscaping of the grounds and the house it is set in. In 1819, the house was described as ' a mansion beautifully situated on an eminence in the centre of a small park of about sixty acres'. (Croome Estate archive). At the time of the 6th Earl's death in 1809, his son and heir, George William, Viscount Deerhurst lived at Spring Hill. After inheriting the Earldom his younger brother John Coventry lived at Spring Hill. In 1830, the house was bought by General Hon. Edward Lygon, a member of the Lygon family from Madresfield Court near Malvern. He fought at the Battle of Waterloo and having acquired the estate at Spring Hill attempted to plant the estate with spinneys recreating the formations at the battle. After his purchase of the house it was remodelled. The house is Grade II listed.
Historic England description
GV 2. Circa 1757 for John Bulkeley-Coventry-Bulkeley; 1763 Capability Brown employed (for park presumably, although the house has been attributed to him by Dorothy Stroud) Bought 1830 by General Lygon who added wings and porch and laid out estate to resemble the field of Waterloo. Remodelled late C19 in "Wren-naissance" style. Now a large courtyard plan country house with domestic range to east and stable range to west linked across north side by a coach house with cupola. The front terrace is an enormous rockery-cum-grotto (qv). Garden front: Symmetrical 2 storey composition on a terrace. Ashlar with hipped slate roofs (stone tile to rear and courtyard wings). Central 5 bay section with central pedimented break over half oval portico and 2 bay set backs to sides with pedimented end bays in slight breaks. Band over ground floor. Sash windows with keystones and shutters; glazing bars to first floor only. Tripartite central first floor window with bracket cornice. Tuscan portico, with balustraded parapet, half-glazed doors and sidelights. Projecting single storey bays in angles of see back wings, also with balustraded parapets. Side wings have mullion and transom windows, 3 light to end bays and projecting bays. North front: 1½ storeys rubble, balanced composition with central coach house with cupola, and stables to left and domestic quarters to right. Three bay taller central pavilion with 3 large archways, centre to courtyard, flanking coach houses; central gabled half-dormer; modillion eaves cornice; hipped roof. Left part has wooden mullion windows and leaded glazing; right part has glazing bar sashes. East (stable) return has wood mullion windows and retains loose boxes. West (domestic) return has ½ dormers and evidence of earlier C18 structure (probably a farmhouse converted to present use when big house constructed and remodelled again in late C19). Sources: P Miller "Chipping Campden". D Stroud "Capability Brown" (she attributes the house to Brown, for Lord Coventry).