SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station

near to Aldbury, Hertfordshire, Great Britain

The "Iron Room", Tring Station
The "Iron Room", Tring Station
Corrugated iron was developed by 1829 and the process of coating the iron with zinc (galvanizing) was patented in 1837, thus greatly increasing the life of corrugated iron sheets. Manufacturers began producing it for the construction of prefabricated buildings, since the material was light, strong and easy to cut into sheets, and by the late 19th century a number of manufacturers offered mass-produced corrugated iron buildings in kit form - such as churches, chapels and school houses - and these could be bought from a catalogue.

A kit would comprise a prefabricated timber frame, usually erected on a brick foundation. The roof and walls were clad on the outside with corrugated sheets and on the inside with good quality tongue and groove boarding, usually with a sheet of felt between the wood and iron.

The original "tin tabernacle" at Tring Station SP9412 : Tin Tabernacle, Tring Station was replaced in 1902 by the current building, which was given to the local people by J. G. Williams who owned the nearby Pendley estate. He thought the workers in the railway cottages adjacent to Tring Station should have somewhere to worship, and that to walk to Aldbury was too far. Thus, in the prevailing fashion of the time, a prefabricated "tin tabernacle" was erected for their use. In 1917 the original building was moved some miles away to Puttenham where it still exists SP8814 : Tin Tabernacle at Puttenham, Hertfordshire. It appears that the Tring "Iron Room" has been renovated at some time in its recent history when its original corrugated iron sheeting was replaced, as is shown in the views below:

SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station; SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station;
SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station; SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station;
SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station; SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station;
SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station; SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station;
SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station; SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station;
SP9412 : The "Iron Room", Tring Station
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Unknown - picture appears to be ca. 1902 and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2009
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP9412, 77 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
Contributed by
Gerald Massey   (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Wednesday, 18 November, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 18 November, 2009
Category
Portable buildings   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 949 121 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:48.0018N 0:37.4408W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 949 122
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 333 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
please donate