This converted crossing keeper's house on Green Lane is one of four within 3 kilometres east of Tivetshall.
The Waveney Valley Line had no less than four level crossings within the first 3 kilometres out of Tivetshall station, the one by the A140 (Norwich Road) being by far the best known. Nothing remains of the railway trackbed but the crossing keeper's cottages on these roads have survived. The crossing cottage situated about one kilometre to the north-west of the one on the A140 > Link
- by the level crossing on Star Lane > Link
- appears pretty much original, as does the next cottage up the line, located on Green Lane (depicted here) and presently called 'Crossing House', a further 500 metres or so to the north-west. The last level crossing before reaching Tivetshall was on Hall Road. This crossing cottage > Link
has been extended and is now a larger building. Its name is 'Crossing Cottage'. Looking south-east from Crossing Cottage, the three other houses can be seen, in a straight line where the railway once used to run.
The Waveney Valley Line ran from a junction with the London to Norwich mainline at Tivetshall > Link
servicing the market towns of Harleston,, Bungay and Beccles, where it connected with the East Suffolk line to Yarmouth. The line was opened between 1855 and 1863 but its first stations (Starston > Link
and Redenhall) were closed as early as 1866. The passenger service was eventually withdrawn in 1953. Freight services were but back in 1960 and in 1966 the line was closed. Part of its route - between Harleston and Broome - has since been taken over by the realigned A143 road.