H6015 : The Dromore river – waterway and estate boundary

near to Cootehill and Clements Town, Cavan, Ireland

The Dromore river – waterway and estate boundary
The Dromore river – waterway and estate boundary
This river is the main stream of a significant waterway system of rivers and lakes which provides the angler with some great fishing, It has in the past been navigable over the eight miles between Ballybay and Cootehill, and one day may be again LinkExternal link . For some four miles before it reaches Cootehill, the river flows through a countryside of beautiful wooded drumlins, islands and little crannocks, where lie two historic estates. They were founded in the 17th century, and the Dromore river is the border between them.

Opposite, on the far (south) bank, is the Bellamont Forest estate which was established by the Coote family who, with the Hill family of Co. Down, founded the town of Cootehill. In about 1730 Thomas Coote completed the building of a great mansion (his nephew, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce, was the architect) which “was, and still is, regarded to be one of the finest examples of Palladian architecture in Ireland” LinkExternal link . A member of the family, John Coote, lives there today, and he has restored much of the 1000-acre estate to its original de-forested layout and the interior of the house “to reflect the grandeur and tranquillity of the 1700s”.

On this (north) side of the river is the Dartrey estate which was established by the Dawson family – view and history at H6117 : Inner Lough island and the history of the Dartrey estate. In 1950 their Gothic-style ‘Dartrey Castle’ LinkExternal link , on the edge of the Inner Lough, was demolished and the estate sold to Coillte for forestry. Coillte have mainly planted conifers, but some great oaks (439 were planted in 1820) and other broadleaf trees (e.g. beeches, planted in 1949, ash and sycamore) survive from the old estate and are being protected and increased LinkExternal link .
Several fine buildings of the Dawson period still remain, including two great stable blocks, built in 1730 H6016 : “A fine Georgian building” – the original Dartrey stables and H6017 : The ‘new’ stables on the Dartrey estate built in the 1840s, H6017 : Dawson Monument, and H6116 : The Temple on Black Island - Restoration . Map at LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright D Gore and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2009
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
H6015, 5 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Wednesday, 2 December, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 13 December, 2009
Category
River   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! H 6015 1510 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:4.8950N 7:4.9024W
Photographer Location
Irish: geotagged! H 5984 1519
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 1180 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donations welcome!