C1711 : Swilly buses, Letterkenny
near to Leitir Ceanainn, Gortlee and Old Town, Donegal, Ireland
The Lough Swilly buses
In the years between 1863 and 1953, the Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway operated a narrow (3ft) gauge railway in the rural and lightly-populated parts of north Donegal. The company still exists and operates buses on services which include the former railway routes. In 1970/80’s the fleet contained many second-hand ex-Ulsterbus and CIE vehicles well past their prime. The Letterkenny depot was the old railway station, adjacent to the CIE bus depot - originally the County Donegal Railways (narrow (3ft) gauge) station.
The company was wound up by the Northern Ireland High Court in 2014. The following is a quotation from the official notice in the “Belfast Gazette”: “THE INSOLVENCY (NORTHERN IRELAND) ORDER 1989 LONDONDERRY & LOUGH SWILLY RAILWAY COMPANY By Order dated 15 May 2014, the above-named company (registered office at Ballyraine Road, Letterkenny, County Donegal,) was ordered to be wound up by the High Court of Justice in Northern Ireland.” Operations ended during April 2014.
- Grid Square
- C1711, 162 images (more nearby )
- Albert Bridge (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Supplemental image
- Date Taken
- Saturday, 26 January, 1980 (more nearby)
- Tuesday, 29 December, 2009
- Bus (more nearby)
- Subject Location
Irish: C 173 117 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:57.1704N 7:43.8350W
- Photographer Location
- Irish: C 173 117
- View Direction
- North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
This page has been viewed about 745 times.