NZ2563 : Side, Newcastle upon Tyne

near to Gateshead, Great Britain

Side, Newcastle upon Tyne
Side, Newcastle upon Tyne
This is the lower part of the Newcastle street simply called Side just up from where it becomes Sandhill. One of the buildings houses The Crown Posada public house NZ2563 : Crown Posada, Side dating from 1880.
Tyne and Wear HER(8722): Newcastle, The Side, Nos. 31 to 33, Crown Posada Public House: LinkExternal link

The middle property has the carved inscription 'Bentham Buildings' and is dated 1892.

The Lort Burn, one of the hidden streams of Newcastle, flows beneath the road, its presence alluded to by the patterns of block paving in the road.
Tyne and Wear HER(11105): Newcastle, Lort Burn: LinkExternal link
Hidden streams of Newcastle :: NZ2464
In Medieval times, Newcastle was divided by several streams or burns flowing towards the River Tyne. Several of the roads have the term bridge in their names although no water is visible today. Examples are Barras Bridge, New Bridge Street, High Bridge and Low Bridge. They were often important sites for industry and settlement but hampered communications and development. As the town expanded they were filled in and now flow in culverts buried deep below the surface.
The Skinner Burn was culverted between 1840 and 1859. It flows under Bath Lane from just south of Corporation Street, beneath Thornton Street, then west of Clayton Street West, around the site of the old abattoir, and down the east edge of Forth Banks into the Tyne where there is a small outlet in the river wall LinkExternal link
The Lort Burn rises in Leazes, between Barrack Road and Richardson Road, then runs across Richardson Road just north of the junction with Queen Victoria Road, down the north side of St. Thomas Street and bends south just after the junction with Percy Street and on beneath Grey Street and Dean Street and the Side. It was crossed by the High and Low Bridges. The Lort Burn was fully covered in 1784 because it was considered as "a vast nauseous hollow… a place of filth and dirt" LinkExternal link
The Pandon Burn was a deep and wide glacial valley. It was crossed by Barras Bridge and New Bridge Street. The valley was filled in over the culverted stream in several stages, completed by 1886. Its waters are joined, before reaching the river, by the Erick Burn, which flows beneath the Laing Art Gallery. In 1977, during President Carter's visit to Newcastle, part of the infill of Pandon Dene south of the Civic Centre, subsided under the weight of the crowd LinkExternal link

Commissions North - Tributary LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2010
· Find out how to reuse this image · For example on your webpage, blog, a forum, or Wikipedia. ·
Discuss There are 8 posts in a discussion
on NZ2563
(preview on the left)
Modify Suggest an update to this image Email Contact the contributor
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ2563, 1154 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Thursday, 7 January, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 8 January, 2010
Category
Street   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2513 6392 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:58.1564N 1:36.5396W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2510 6393
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 606 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register