H6016 : The original Dartrey stables built in 1730

near to Clements Town, Cavan, Ireland

The original Dartrey stables built in 1730
The original Dartrey stables built in 1730
This is a 1989 photo of the original Palladian style stables on the Dartrey estate and is now privately owned. See these stables 20 years later at H6016 : “A fine Georgian building” – the original Dartrey stables. They were built in 1730, coinciding with the completion of the Palladian mansion at neighbouring Bellamont Forest by the famous young Irish architect Edward Lovett Pearce (1699-1733) who introduced Palladianism to Ireland and later designed the Irish Parliament buildings. The design of these stables has many interesting features strongly indicating his hand and influence at work: the building is recognised as being of architectural importance. It was replaced in 1846 by H6017 : The ‘new’ stables on the Dartrey estate built in the 1840s. Now suffering badly from the effects of time and neglect, this once fine Georgian building is in urgent need of restoration before it finally subsides into ruin and complete loss.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright D Gore and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1989
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
H6016, 12 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
1989   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 9 January, 2010
Category
Stables (former)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! H 608 168 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:5.8066N 7:4.2861W
Photographer Location
Irish: geotagged! H 607 167
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 775 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register