SP5750 : St Mary's Church, Canons Ashby

near to Canons Ashby, Northamptonshire, Great Britain

St Mary's Church, Canons Ashby
St Mary's Church, Canons Ashby
From the official guide book: "The pinnacled tower of St Mary's church is visible for miles around. It was built about 1250 as the church of the Augustinian priory on the scale of a small cathedral. The Cope and the Dryden families demolished the chancel, choir and half the nave leaving only the two westernmost bays of the nave which form the present church. The ground level arcade of the west front (facing the road) comprises columns of the local dark orange ironstone which contrast attractively with the pale cream stone of the arches. The large Perpendicular window above was probably inserted in the late 14th century. Sir Robert Dryden rebuilt the south front in the late 17th century and Sir Henry Dryden restored three of the tower pinnacles in 1838 to 1857."
A plaque inside the church states that it is one of only four private churches in the country.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Cathy Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP5750, 71 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Date Taken
Monday, 1 May, 2006   (more nearby)
Sunday, 7 May, 2006
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 577 505 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:8.9867N 1:9.4876W
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 1556 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
donate to geograph