Detached multiple-bay two-storey Palladian style former market house, built c.1740 to designs by Richard Castle. The building later served as a court house and is now in use as an art gallery / exhibition space. The structure is constructed in rusticated ashlar granite, has an overall cruciform plan with open colonnades to each corner, and is topped with an octagonal domed lantern. The long main central section is gable-ended and has a pedimented full-width bay to each (north and south) gable. Each of these bays incorporates a recent glazed timber screen with elliptical fanlight with sunburst tracery; the screen to the north incorporates a doorway. To the east and west elevations are gable-ended full-height projections which are both set between the colonnaded corner features. These corner colonnades consist of Doric columns supporting a frieze with cornice, above which is a blocking course with piers. The colonnades 'enclose' what are now (mainly) blind 'arcades', with similar 'arcades' to the side projections now filled with semi-circular headed window openings, with a panelled timber door to one of the arches to the east projection. There are small flat-headed window openings to the upper floor of each side projection. The windows are filled with replacement timber frames. The octagonal domed lantern is articulated with roundels and clock faces. The pitched roof is finished with natural slate and has stone parapets with corbels and dressed coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The building is set on an 'island' site in Market Square.
Source: buildings of Ireland.