ST3192 : Llantarnam Abbey

taken 8 years ago, near to Croes-y-Mwyalch, Torfaen/Tor-Faen, Great Britain

Llantarnam Abbey
Llantarnam Abbey
The northern part of Llantarnam Abbey.

Llantarnam Abbey was founded in 1179 by Hywel ab Iorwerth, lord of Caerleon. Nothing is left of the medieval buildings. The site is believed to have been extensively redeveloped by William Morgan, who bought most of the abbey’s lands after the dissolution of the monasteries (1536-1541) in the reign of Henry VIII.
Extensive rebuilding was again carried out in 1834-5. Since 1946, the Abbey has been the provincial headquarters of the Sisters of St Joseph of Annecy.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST3192, 30 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 17 October, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 13 January, 2010
Category
Religious buildings > Abbey   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 311 929 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:37.8405N 2:59.8105W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 311 929
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 33 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register