SK5453 : Newstead Abbey - 1

taken 8 years ago, near to Ravenshead, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

Newstead Abbey - 1
Newstead Abbey - 1
The site was originally an Augustinian priory founded by Henry II in about 1170. Henry VIII dissolved the monastery in 1539. In the following year, Henry gave Newstead to Sir John Byron, who converted the priory into a house for his family. The west front of the church, seen on the left, dates from the late 13th century and is the only part of the church which remains in place. In the apex is a statue of St Mary, to whom the priory was dedicated.
SK5453 : Newstead Abbey - 2
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Trevor Rickard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK5453, 93 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 7 November, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 14 January, 2010
Category
Religious buildings > Abbey   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 542 537 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:4.7049N 1:11.5426W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 541 537
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 51 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register