TG2407 : Trowse pumping station - ancillary building

taken 8 years ago, near to Trowse Newton, Norfolk, Great Britain

Trowse pumping station - ancillary building
Trowse pumping station - ancillary building
The back wall of the ancillary building seen past the modern sewage pumping station (at left). The building is unused and derelict with the glass in many windows broken.
Trowse pumping station
Until the late 1860s the River Wensum was the city's main sewer. In 1867 the city sponsored an act of Parliament by which it leased 129 acres of the Crown Point estate for 30 years. [The estate was owned by the Money Family - sold to Sir Robert John Harvey in 1861, and to Jeremiah James Colman in 1872.] Deep sewers were laid on both sides of the Wensum and a pumping station was built in Trowse which brought some improvement in form of the Whitlingham Sewage Farm. Provision was included for the construction of a new road past the site which led to the widening of the bridge over the River Yare. The original pumping station, situated south-east of the railway line, acts as an important landmark which is most apparent from the large blue brick railway bridge.

The sewage works consists of three historic buildings:

The original pumping station is red brick and built in classical style. A modern extension was added to the south but the original fašade remains unaltered.

An ancillary building, designed with various early 18th century details such as the door surrounds and detailing around the windows, adjoins it. It was opened by the Lord Mayor and local historian Walter Rye on 14 July 1909. The datestone commemorating the event is still in place.

Immediately east of it is a row of six workers' terraced cottages built in Victorian Gothic style with polychromatic detailing of red and white bricks. Unfortunately many of the original windows and slate roofs have been replaced by modern materials.

A modern pumping station > LinkExternal link has been built to the south-east of the complex.

----

The settlement of Trowse Millgate originated at the bridging point over the River Yare, the ideal location for a mill. The character of the area underwent significant changes in the 19th century when the railway and the sewage works were built. With the onset of post war decline, the character changed again but by the late 20th century this decline was beginning to be reversed with the construction of new housing and the restoration of historic buildings.

Trowse Millgate was first designated a conservation area on 2 January 1979 and extended a couple of years later to include the former railway station and the former Pineapple public house to the north of the railway line. The area lies within the floodplain of the River Yare one mile to the south east of Norwich city centre and covers an area of 3.9 hectares.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG2407, 292 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 20 January, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 21 January, 2010
Category
Sewage pumping station   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 244 070 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:36.8839N 1:18.8140E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 244 070
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 120 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register