NZ2564 : New Bridge Street West

taken 8 years ago, near to Gateshead, Great Britain

New Bridge Street West
New Bridge Street West
The building with the red dome is Northern Goldsmiths on the Blackett - Pilgrim Street corner together with its Golden Clock and Lady NZ2464 : Northern Goldsmiths, Blackett Street and Pilgrim Street corner
New Bridge Street follows the line of the Town Wall and led to the 1812 New Bridge across the Pandon Burn, one of the streams now hidden beneath the surface. The Pearl Assurance Building is on the right.
Hidden streams of Newcastle :: NZ2464
In Medieval times, Newcastle was divided by several streams or burns flowing towards the River Tyne. Several of the roads have the term bridge in their names although no water is visible today. Examples are Barras Bridge, New Bridge Street, High Bridge and Low Bridge. They were often important sites for industry and settlement but hampered communications and development. As the town expanded they were filled in and now flow in culverts buried deep below the surface.

The Skinner Burn was culverted between 1840 and 1859. It flows under Bath Lane from just south of Corporation Street, beneath Thornton Street, then west of Clayton Street West, around the site of the old abattoir, and down the east edge of Forth Banks into the Tyne where there is a small outlet in the river wall.
Tyne and Wear HER(11104): Newcastle, Skinner Burn LinkExternal link

The Lort Burn rises in Leazes, between Barrack Road and Richardson Road, then runs across Richardson Road just north of the junction with Queen Victoria Road, down the north side of St. Thomas Street and bends south just after the junction with Percy Street and on beneath Grey Street and Dean Street and the Side. It was crossed by the High and Low Bridges. The Lort Burn was fully covered in 1784 because it was considered as "a vast nauseous hollow… a place of filth and dirt".
Tyne and Wear HER(11105) LinkExternal link

The Pandon Burn was a deep and wide glacial valley. It was crossed by Barras Bridge and New Bridge Street. The valley was filled in over the culverted stream in several stages, completed by 1886. Its waters are joined, before reaching the river, by the Erick Burn, which flows beneath the Laing Art Gallery. In 1977, during President Carter's visit to Newcastle, part of the infill of Pandon Dene south of the Civic Centre, subsided under the weight of the crowd.
Tyne and Wear HER(11114): Newcastle, Pandon Burn LinkExternal link

Commissions North - Tributary LinkExternal link
Newcastle Town Wall :: NZ2563
Built in the C13th century to protect the expanding town from Scottish raiders, Newcastle’s Town Wall was an impressive structure. It was approximately 3km / 2 miles long, up to 2m / 7ft thick and approximately 7.6m / 25ft high. It enclosed the Castle and its Black Gate as well as the main medieval commercial district along the quayside and all the ground northwards to St. Andrews Church. The wall had seven main gateways, 17 towers and 30 turrets. A section of the Wall was extended along the quayside to protect the properties of wealthy merchants from water-borne attack.

Only short sections of the curtain wall now survive as much was demolished in the C19th to aid redevelopment and access. Only five of the original towers have survived.

Wikipedia has a full description and a map LinkExternal link
Historical Account by Eneas Mackenzie (1827) LinkExternal link

More images on Geograph can be found with this search LinkExternal link

National Trails walk around the town walls LinkExternal link

Tyne and Wear HER(1507): Newcastle town wall LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ2564, 797 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 15 January, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 22 January, 2010
Category
Street   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2500 6449 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:58.4641N 1:36.6584W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2502 6450
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 237 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register