SO9198 : Giffard House

taken 8 years ago, near to Wolverhampton, Great Britain

Giffard House
Giffard House
Giffard House was built between 1727 and 1733 as a residence for two Catholic priests to serve the town and surrounding areas. It replaced an earlier meeting house on the same site. A chapel within the house was used for the saying of Mass which remained illegal until 1778. From 1804 until his death in 1826 it was the home of the influential Bishop John Milner, Vicar Apostolic of the Midland District who was buried behind the chapel. He left 1000 to build the chapel to be called St Peter & St Paul's.

The building is Grade 2* listed.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John M and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO9198, 1874 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 23 January, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 23 January, 2010
Category
Building of historical interest   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 912 988 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:35.2537N 2:7.8085W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 913 988
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 37 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register