SP4416 : Townsend's Tower at Blenheim Palace

taken 24 years ago, near to Woodstock, Oxfordshire, Great Britain

Townsend's Tower at Blenheim Palace
Townsend's Tower at Blenheim Palace
In recognition of his military brilliance and in particular his defeat of Louis XIV at the battle of Blenheim in 1704, Queen Anne granted the Royal Manor of Woodstock to John Churchill, the first Duke of Marlborough. She fully funded new building on the site and the result is Blenheim Palace, designed by Sir John Vanbrugh. This archway connects the East Court to the Great Court and house main entrance beyond. The East Court housed all the services for the great house. This tower was named after Oxford mason John Townsend. The clock, which has four faces and three bells, was made in 1710 by Langley Bradley, who also made the clock at St Paul's Cathedral.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Trevor Rickard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP4416, 473 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
September 1993   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 26 January, 2010
Category
Clock > Clock tower   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 441 161 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:50.5439N 1:21.6682W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 441 161
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 58 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register