NZ2564 : The Swirle Pavilion, Quayside

taken 8 years ago, near to Gateshead, Great Britain

The Swirle Pavilion, Quayside
The Swirle Pavilion, Quayside
The Swirle Pavilion, with its golden globe, is part folly and part sculpture NZ2564 : Quayside Globe Monument. It was made by Raf Fulcher in 1998. The names around the inside are some of the cities with which Newcastle regularly traded from boats on the Quayside. The Swirle, and the short street that runs down towards it, are named after the Swirle (or Squirrel) Burn, now hidden, which used to separate the two towns of Newcastle and Byker.
Hidden streams of Newcastle :: NZ2464
In Medieval times, Newcastle was divided by several streams or burns flowing towards the River Tyne. Several of the roads have the term bridge in their names although no water is visible today. Examples are Barras Bridge, New Bridge Street, High Bridge and Low Bridge. They were often important sites for industry and settlement but hampered communications and development. As the town expanded they were filled in and now flow in culverts buried deep below the surface.

The Skinner Burn was culverted between 1840 and 1859. It flows under Bath Lane from just south of Corporation Street, beneath Thornton Street, then west of Clayton Street West, around the site of the old abattoir, and down the east edge of Forth Banks into the Tyne where there is a small outlet in the river wall.
Tyne and Wear HER(11104): Newcastle, Skinner Burn LinkExternal link

The Lort Burn rises in Leazes, between Barrack Road and Richardson Road, then runs across Richardson Road just north of the junction with Queen Victoria Road, down the north side of St. Thomas Street and bends south just after the junction with Percy Street and on beneath Grey Street and Dean Street and the Side. It was crossed by the High and Low Bridges. The Lort Burn was fully covered in 1784 because it was considered as "a vast nauseous hollow… a place of filth and dirt".
Tyne and Wear HER(11105) LinkExternal link

The Pandon Burn was a deep and wide glacial valley. It was crossed by Barras Bridge and New Bridge Street. The valley was filled in over the culverted stream in several stages, completed by 1886. Its waters are joined, before reaching the river, by the Erick Burn, which flows beneath the Laing Art Gallery. In 1977, during President Carter's visit to Newcastle, part of the infill of Pandon Dene south of the Civic Centre, subsided under the weight of the crowd.
Tyne and Wear HER(11114): Newcastle, Pandon Burn LinkExternal link

Commissions North - Tributary LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ2564, 797 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 24 January, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 29 January, 2010
Category
Public artwork   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2578 6408 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:58.2406N 1:35.9295W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2578 6407
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 437 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register