SJ6094 : Parkside Colliery, rope changing winch

taken 25 years ago, near to Newton-le-Willows, St Helens, Great Britain

Parkside Colliery, rope changing winch
Parkside Colliery, rope changing winch
This was one of two large rope changing capstans/winches located inside the enormous tower winder houses and servicing electric Koepe winders. Built by John Wood of Wigan in 1959 they were essentially steam engines but had always operated on compressed air. The duplex cylinders were 18" bore x 30" stroke and were geared down to an 8' plain drum. The picture well illustrates the environment in the base of one of these towers.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ6094, 24 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 30 January, 1993   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 4 February, 2010
Category
Machinery   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 600 947 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:26.8522N 2:36.2239W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 418 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register