TQ6705 : Site of Elizabethan Battery, Rockhouse Bank

taken 8 years ago, 3 km from Pevensey Bay, East Sussex, Great Britain

Site of Elizabethan Battery, Rockhouse Bank
Site of Elizabethan Battery, Rockhouse Bank
Built in the 16th century and active during the 1587 Armada scare. The three earthworks are complimented by a ditch which runs in front of them. The site was possibly reused during the Napoleonic Wars to compliment Martello Towers 54 and 55, the latter being in view in the distance, and was definitely reused during the Second World War when a Bren Gun and anti-tank rifle were stationed here.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Carey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ6705, 105 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 6 February, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 7 February, 2010
Category
Military installation (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 679 055 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:49.5248N 0:22.9609E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 679 056
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 31 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register