Mexborough railway station opened in 1871 . It is a station on the Sheffield-Hull Line 7 miles south west of Doncaster.
As the original station at Mexborough Junction did not serve the line to Rotherham and Sheffield when this opened it was replaced by a new station built immediately on the Doncaster side of the junction. The new station was approximately half way between Mexborough Junction and Mexborough (Ferry Boat) Halt and was able to serve the town centre at the top of Station Road.
It was on 1 June 1874 that the third side of the triangle (Mexborough Reverse Curve) was put in place which allowed trains to work from the Sheffield line to Barnsley without need of reversal. This was closed on 5 September 1966.
The Barnsley to Doncaster local passenger services were withdrawn on 29 June 1959 and further changes in the area took place with the opening of Aldwarke Junction in 1966. From this date all passenger trains to Sheffield were routed to Sheffield Midland, until its closure in January 1968 via the Swinton curve and afterwards via the Great Central route through the closed Kilnhurst Central. Nowadays the service operates via the re-instated curve to the new Swinton.
Mexborough also once had a third platform which, in effect, made the Sheffield bound platform an "island" platform. This was used occasionally for regular passenger services travelling via the Great Central line to Sheffield but more often by excursion trains to the East Coast resorts, Scarborough, Bridlington and Cleethropes being the most popular. This platform face ceased to be used in the late 1970s but can still be seen.
See other images of Mexborough Station