SD4188 : St Anthony's Church, Cartmell Fell

near to Cartmel Fell, Cumbria, Great Britain

St Anthony's Church, Cartmell Fell
St Anthony's Church, Cartmell Fell
There is no village, and the church and school are all on their own amongst woodland. The church was built c.1505, and the windows are unaltered in style from that date, although some have been renewed. Inside there is a 16C family pew, for the Cowmires, and another 17C one (altered in the 19C) for the Burblethwaites. There is a rare three-decker pulpit of 1698 and a possibly 13C wooden crucifix, rarer still. Also some 15C stained glass from Cartmel Priory, notably in the east window. Cartmell Fell was a chapelry of Cartmel parish until it became an ecclesiastical parish in 1718 and a civil parish in 1866.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD4188, 12 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Second Visitor for SD4188)
Date Taken
Saturday, 6 May, 2006   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 17 May, 2006
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 416 880 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:17.0568N 2:53.9123W
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 202 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved