SJ3174 : St Nicholas' Church, Burton

taken 12 years ago, near to Burton, Cheshire, Great Britain

St Nicholas' Church, Burton
St Nicholas' Church, Burton
Burton's St Nicholas' Church, is built of red sandstone, nestling under the shelter of a wooded hill on a gently rising slope. This was also the site of a very ancient church, of which little is known, except that it was connected with a monastery at Denwall, belonging to the See of Lichfield. Only a small portion of the old Church remains, called the Massey Chancel, which forms part of the present edifice. Built by Bishop Wilson at the same time as the School (1720's)in the vestry is preserved a copy of the Old Testament, with Bishop Wilson's marginal notes in his own handwriting. The New Testament is supposed to have been lost. Against the western wall there stands a memorial slab to Bishop Wilson's father who died in 1702 aged 75, his cottage is preserved in the village.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Sue Adair and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ3174, 42 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 3 June, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 4 June, 2006
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 317 743 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:15.6770N 3:1.5218W
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 114 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register