TR0779 : Red Sands Maunsell Sea Fort

taken 12 years ago, 10 km from Warden, Kent, Great Britain

Red Sands Maunsell Sea Fort
Red Sands Maunsell Sea Fort
Four of the seven Red Sands Maunsell sea forts. Placed in this location between 18th September and December 13th 1943, these towers served as anti-aircraft batteries to plug the gap utilised by the enemy down the Thames estuary. Abandoned in 1956 by the government, they saw use by pirate radio stations in the 1960s. Each tower was originally connected to at least one other, but the walkways have long since disappeared.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Hywel Williams and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TR0779, 33 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 3 June, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 4 June, 2006
Category
Fortifications   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 078 795 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:28.5768N 0:59.4575E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for TR0779)
This page has been viewed about 8131 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register