SE1325 : Tower of Lightcliffe Old Church, Wakefield Road, Lightcliffe, Hipperholme

taken 12 years ago, near to Hipperholme, Calderdale, Great Britain

Tower of Lightcliffe Old Church, Wakefield Road, Lightcliffe, Hipperholme
Tower of Lightcliffe Old Church, Wakefield Road, Lightcliffe, Hipperholme
This was first built in 1529 as a chapel of ease, known as Eastfield Chapel, in Halifax parish. It became a parish church in 1749. It was rebuilt in 1775, but was replaced by St Matthew's Church further up Wakefield Road in 1875. All but the tower was demolished in 1969. 93 In 1529 St Matthew's Chapel Lightcliffe was built, and became known as Eastfield Chapel. It was suppressed c.1547, and restored in 1598. It is Grade II listed. The architect was William Mallinson of Halifax. In the belfry there is a stone taken from an earlier church on this site, inscribed: 'Deo et Sancto Mattaeo Apostolo Evangelistae Martyri Sacra A. O. DCXXIX.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE1325, 117 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 1 June, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 17 June, 2006
Category
Tower   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 139 253 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:43.4353N 1:47.4493W
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 251 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register