TM2863 : St Michael's church in Framlingham - south aisle

taken 8 years ago, near to Framlingham, Suffolk, Great Britain

St Michael's church in Framlingham - south aisle
St Michael's church in Framlingham - south aisle
St Michael's church > LinkExternal link dates mainly from the 14th and 15th centuries, the chancel was built in the 16th century. The building contains the original C14 font > LinkExternal link and wooden cover, and a medieval wallpainting. It is one of only three East Anglian churches that have a hammerbeam roof with elaborate fan vaulting. Royal arms for Charles II (dated 1661) > LinkExternal link bearing the initials of the rector and his churchwardens can be seen on the south aisle wall. The perhaps most noteworthy features of the church, however, can be found in the chancel, which was originally built to serve as a mausoleum for the Howard Dukes of Norfolk. Buried here are members of the most powerful family in their time:

The tomb of Thomas Howard, the third Duke of Norfolk, is believed to be one of the finest examples of Renaissance sculpture in northern Europe. The tomb beside his is of Henry Fitzroy > LinkExternal link - an illegitimate son of King Henry VIII. His tomb is adorned by a frieze > LinkExternal link depicting scenes from the Old Testament. The tomb of his two wives > LinkExternal link - each died in childbirth - of the fourth Howard Duke (dating from around 1550) can be found in the north-east corner of the chancel > LinkExternal link. It is adjoined by a small altar tomb which marks the site of the burial place of a daughter of the fourth Duke. The painted alabaster tomb standing against the north wall is for Henry Howard (the 'Poet Earl'), Earl of Surrey > LinkExternal link - son of the third Duke and father of the fourth Duke.

Another noteworthy feature is the unique organ > LinkExternal link. It was made by Thomas Thamar in 1674 for the chapel of Pembroke College, Cambridge. Many of these organs were destroyed by Cromwell's troops but this particular instrument still contains the original pipe work and hence constitutes a very rare survival.

The church > LinkExternal link was restored in Victorian times when newly designed Cathedral glass > LinkExternal link was fitted in the chancel south aisle windows, and the chancel walls were decorated using stencils > LinkExternal link made by the firm of FR Leach and Sons of Cambridge. Mr Leach senior had learned his craft from William Morris, the founder of the Arts and Crafts Movement.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM2863, 642 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 25 June, 2010   (more nearby)
Saturday, 26 June, 2010
Church interior   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 2855 6358 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:13.3785N 1:20.6870E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 2852 6358
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register