TQ8209 : Beaches along Pelham Beach

taken 7 years ago, near to Hastings, East Sussex, Great Britain

Beaches along Pelham Beach
Beaches along Pelham Beach
Beach [1] and Pier[2] to left. Denmark Place centre rear. Pelham Place car park[3] and Pelham Crescent[4] to right.
1. Pelham Beach
Pelham Beach is a 1.4km long stretch of pebble beach along Hastings sea front. It goes from the Hastings Pier at the boundary with St Leonards, to The Harbour arm breakwater.

Much of the beach, along with Pelham Place car park and the Stade family fun park, has been created from land reclaimed from the sea. With the event of the railways more tourists visited Hastings and so more beach space was required. The beach is generally pebbles but sand is exposed at low tide.
2. Hastings Pier :: TQ8108
Opened 1872 - Closed 2007 - Length 910ft

The pier was closed in 2006 and 2007 due to structural decay, and was due to be restored after the council had completed a compulsory purchase order.

On 5th October 2010, the pier was set alight by arsonists destroying most of the buildings. This was just hours after a competition was opened to redesign the pier. Despite taking four days to put out, the pier itself was said to be structurally sound, and the competition was still run, with a firm chosen.

In November 2012 a 11.4million lottery grant was awarded towards the pier rebuild. The total cost is only estimated at 13.9 million as the accommodation will be signicantly smaller than its original form.

It is set to reopen in March 2016.

Also see Pleasure Piers of Great Britain LinkExternal link
3. Pelham Place Car Park
The car park along with the Stade family fun park was built on land reclaimed from the sea.

This photo LinkExternal link from late 1800's shows the sea near to Pelham Crescent and row of buildings on Denmark Place now replaced.
4. Pelham Crescent & St Mary in the Castle
An imposing grade II* listed crescent with St Mary in the Castle central portico overlooking the sea, with the cliff behind it.

The centre-piece of Pelham Crescent, St Mary In The Castle was built in 1828, by Joseph Kay. It is formed by a large white portico to the principal elevation with a curved auditorium behind. This is accessed from the art gallery off Pelham Place.

1-8 Pelham Crescent Grade II* listed LinkExternal link
St Mary In The Castle Grade II* listed LinkExternal link
Pelham Arcade Grade II listed LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Oast House Archive and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ8209, 3512 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 26 June, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 27 June, 2010
Geographical Context
Park and Public Gardens 
Primary Subject of Photo
Seat 
Category
Benches   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 820 093 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:51.2793N 0:35.0968E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 821 093
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Pleasure Pier  Pier  Bench 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 90 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register