TM3896 : Norman Arch Hales St Margaret

taken 7 years ago, near to Hales, Norfolk, Great Britain

Norman Arch Hales St Margaret
Norman Arch Hales St Margaret
A view of the northern Norman Arch, limestone imported from Cean, Normandy.
It is thought the same craftsman did Heckingham, 2km to the north. TM3898 : St Gregory's Church, Heckingham, Norfolk - Porch doorway
St Margaret's Church Hales
The isolated church is a rare Norman 12th Century survivor, its surrounding medieval village and manor houses being long forgotten. The new village of hales is now 1km to the north.
The nave and chancel are constructed from whatever the builders could find, from Roman tiles LinkExternal link to glacial erratics LinkExternal link and ferruginous conglomerate LinkExternal link. Limestone was imported from Caen, Normandy to finish off the nice areas and carve the doorways LinkExternal link LinkExternal link. The rough wall was plastered white with four simple windows of which one survives LinkExternal link. Soon after the church was finished the tower was added, slightly rougher in construction LinkExternal link. Evidence suggests a completion date for the nave and chancel of 1140. Originally the chancel was barrel vaulted however this was taken down or fell down, then the nave and chancel extended in height by 90cm. This work seems to have been done in the 13th century with the vault collapse/removal.
In 1270 the church was granted by Alan, son of Elias of Heckingham and Ralph de Chedgrave and his wife Emma to St Olaves Priory LinkExternal link. The last mentioned vicar was in 1458 (Hugh Croke) before the priory closed the vicarage after appropriation. Stripped of its living the church became rather poor. Because of this the chancel was never "straightened out" unlike at Poringland. LinkExternal link. With the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537 the church passed to the crown where an impropriator was paid 5 per annum to look after it. In 1841 the churches of Heckingham and Hales joined under one impropriator. The church was made redundant in 1973 after years of no services and is now under the care of the Churches Conservation trust LinkExternal link.
Inside there are several nice early 14th C wall paintings, St Christopher and St James for example. The octagonal font is rather modern for this church being from the 15th century.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ashley Dace and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM3896, 91 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 27 June, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 29 June, 2010
Category
Church doorway   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 383 961 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:30.6386N 1:30.6552E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 383 961
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 85 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register