NT3472 : Musselburgh Tolbooth

taken 7 years ago, near to Musselburgh, East Lothian, Great Britain

Musselburgh Tolbooth
Musselburgh Tolbooth
"Musselburgh was a burgh
When Edinburgh was nane,
And Musselburgh'll be a burgh
When Edinburgh is gane."
-- local rhyme

The Romans made no use of the Castle Rock in Edinburgh, but instead established their base on the Forth at Inveresk, because supplies by sea could be easily landed at the mouth of the Esk.

"Musselburgh is a very ancient burgh of Regality, and was once called Musselburgh-shire. Before the Reformation, it was an ecclesiastical burgh belonging, inter alia, to the abbacy of Dunfermline. It was disjoined by King James VI. from that abbacy, and given in donation to one of the family of Lauderdale: and when the whole abbacy was given to Queen Ann of Denmark, she reclaimed the regality of Musselburgh, as comprehended under the gift. But the proprietor contended, that it had ab ante* been gifted to him, which defence was sustained. Certain parts, however, of this regality and parish have been disjoined, and added to the parishes of Cranston, Newton, and Dalkeith. This Lordship was held by the family of Lauderdale till the year 1709, when it was purchased by the Duchess of Monmouth and Buccleugh. The mill, to which this regality was astricted and thirled**, is called the Shire-mill, and the wood along the banks of the river of which little remains, is called Shire-wood, and Sheriff-hall at the extremity of the regality has acquired its name in the same manner. Musselburgh is an ancient ecclesiastical and incorporate burgh, holden of the Lord Superior of the Regality, who is now the Duke of Buccleugh, on payment of certain sums annually as quit-rent or feu-duty. The territories of the Burgh extend along the sea-coast, the whole length of the parish, and are about two measured miles and. a half in length, and from one half to one fourth of a mile in breadth. The most ancient charter of this burgh now extant is dated December 11. 1562, and is granted by Robert Commendator of Dunfermline, with consent of the whole members of the convent. It narrates, "That the title-deeds belonging to the burgh were burnt by their enemies the English, after the fatal battle of Pinkie; therefore they of new grant, dispone, and confirm to the present bailies, community and inhabitants of Musselburgh, and to their successors," &c. which is not inconsistent with what has been before mentioned as a traditional account, viz. That their first charter was procured, by means of their attention to Randolph Earl of Murray, who died in their town. This charter is confirmed by many subsequent charters and acts of Parliament, particularly by a charter from the Earl, afterwards Duke of Lauderdale, dated anno 1670, in which all their ancient rights and privileges are narrated and confirmed."
-- Alexander Carlyle, minister of Inveresk, Old Statistical Account, 1792

*beforehand; ** restricted and bound
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright kim traynor and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT3472, 230 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 25 June, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 1 July, 2010
Category
Town Hall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 346 727 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.5887N 3:2.9189W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 346 727
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 53 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register