SK0513 : Remains of Beaudesert Hall, Cannock Wood

taken 14 years ago, near to Gentleshaw, Staffordshire, Great Britain

Remains of Beaudesert Hall, Cannock Wood
Remains of Beaudesert Hall, Cannock Wood
Beaudesert Hall was a medieval manor house substantially rebuilt in the 16th century and altered again in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. It was the home to the Paget family, the Lords Anglesey. After an unsuccessful attempt to sell the hall in the 1930s it was largely demolished, some of the internal fittings being shipped all the way to Australia to be used in a house called Carrick Hill in Adelaide. The remains that survive today are due to the demise of the demolition company before the contract could be completed in full. In 1937 Lord Anglesey donated 124 acres to be used for recreation by scouts, guides and other similar associations and this ground was opened in 1938. A programme of historic building recording of the ruins has recently been undertaken by the University of Birmingham. LinkExternal link

Additional information provided by Rob Farrow:
There's a reasonably comprehensive account of the ruins on the EH listing site LinkExternal link
In the Victoria County Histories for Staffordshire there is the following:
On 28 September 1546 the Chancellor of the Court of Augmentations was ordered to 'practize and conclude' with Bishop Richard Sampson for the surrender of lands and manors, including Cannock and Rugeley, in return for benefices of equivalent value. (fn. 125) The lands were surrendered by the bishop on 29 September (fn. 126) and on 26 October were granted to Sir William Paget by letters patent, (fn. 127) confirmed by Act of Parliament the same day. (fn. 128) Sir William, created Lord Paget of Beaudesert in 1549, (fn. 129) settled his estates in 1554 on himself and his heirs male, with contingent remainder to his daughters. (fn. 130) He was succeeded in 1563 by his eldest son, Henry 2nd Lord Paget of Beaudesert. (fn. 131) Henry died in 1568, leaving an infant daughter Elizabeth (fn. 132) who became de jure Baroness Paget. (fn. 133) Although the estates should have descended to Henry's brother Thomas, under the settlement of 1554, Elizabeth seems to have had some rights in them until her death in 1570. (fn. 134) Thomas, her uncle, was her heir, (fn. 135) and from this time Cannock and Rugeley descended in the Paget family with the barony, of which the caput was at Beaudesert in Longdon (Offlow hundred), (fn. 136) until the 6th Marquess of Anglesey (d. 1947) disposed of his property in Cannock and Rugeley in various sales after 1918.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John Brightley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK0513, 5 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 8 February, 2004   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 1 July, 2010
Category
Ruins > Manor house (ruined)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 0549 1332 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:43.0505N 1:55.2098W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 0549 1332
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for SK0513)
This page has been viewed about 292 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register