ST8671 : Ornamental lake, Hartham Park, Corsham

taken 7 years ago, near to Biddestone, Wiltshire, Great Britain

Ornamental lake, Hartham Park, Corsham
Ornamental lake, Hartham Park, Corsham
Hartham Park is now an impressive business park and conference centre. The park has a long and illustrious history. From the park's website:

'There have been impressive houses at Hartham for many centuries. Two families, living beside one another for over 300 years, before the existing Hartham Park buildings even existed.

Hartham House was home to the Duckett family, one of whom, Lionel Duckett, became Lord Mayor of London in 1572.

Hartham Park was the home of the Goddards, a family whose history is inextricably linked with North Wiltshire both as land-owners and politicians. The Goddard coat of arms can still be seen over the main gate.

Anne Goddard inherited the property in the 1700s, and was married to William James, whose enterprise and success in the East India Company lead to him becoming Chairman of the Board of Directors, and also provided the funds for Anne to build the present Mansion House, which was completed in 1795. Designed by the fashionable and highly sought after architect James Wyatt, the house was built on the site of a former Tudor farmstead.

Sadly she did not live to enjoy the house that she had created and it was sold eventually to the Methuen family, who had already acquired Hartham House but which, now superfluous to requirements, was knocked down in the mid 1800s.

Bought by the Dickson Poynder family, Hartham Park now enjoys its heyday. Sir John Poynder Dickson Poynder, later Lord Islington and Governor of New Zealand, added to the house, extending the main building and creating the courtyard. It was Sir John who also had the Stické tennis court built in 1904, used for the popular indoor version of lawn tennis. Although 38 Stické courts were built throughout the British Empire, the present court is one of only two left that are still playable. The building and balcony also doubled as a cricket pavilion.

It was at the turn of the 19th century that Churchill and Asquith are known to have stayed in the house, as did H.R.H Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, the third son of Queen Victoria.

While later owners of Hartham Park let much of the grounds deteriorate or sold parts off altogether, there is still ample evidence of what the property must have been like. Pineapples were grown in a heated greenhouse (the smokestack for the boiler can still be seen from the car park) the gardens were landscaped by Harold Peto, of Iford Manor fame and much of the grounds were laid out, as they are today, in this period.

The servants' bells that remain outside the Victorian kitchens also hark back to the same period.'

LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Brian Robert Marshall and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
ST8671, 19 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 30 June, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 1 July, 2010
Category
Ornamental lake   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 8616 7199 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:26.8036N 2:12.0324W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! ST 8614 7201
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 95 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register