NS0953 : The Nave of the Church

near to Kilchattan Bay, Argyll And Bute, Great Britain

The Nave of the Church
The Nave of the Church
Conservation work was in progress during our visit. The chancel arch, which separates the part of the church reserved for the clergy NS0953 : The Chancel of the Church from the nave where the lay-people worshipped, is decorated with chevrons and dog-tooth patterns which are typical of 12th century religious buildings. The notice on the ruined wall tells us that the nave was repaired in 1896 by the 3rd Marquess of Bute, and that the architect Robert Weir Schultz inserted a tile-course to show the boundary between the old and new stone-work.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Barbara Carr and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2009
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS0953, 50 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Saturday, 25 April, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 3 July, 2010
Category
Church (ruined)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 094 534 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:44.1954N 5:2.1608W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 094 534
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 28 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
please donate